Saturday, November 14, 2009

McGinn is Mayor


I only read enough about Seattle's mayoral election to glean that Mallahan was a cell phone executive, heavily steeped in business and political insiders, and that McGinn was an environmentalist backed by absolutely nobody. Needless to say, I was happy with the results.

A few weeks before the election, I actually ran into him in the University District. He looked kind of dorky, clad in greenish suit, parked on his bike in front of a red light, helmet strapped firmly on. Crossing the street in front of him, I noticed a pin on his lapel that said he was running for mayor. I stopped, looked him in the eye, and shook his hand. He seemed, strangely, nervous. Since I tend to view displays of vulnerability positively, especially when it comes to politicians, I was encouraged.

There is a very funny tongue-and-cheek article in the Stranger this week about the election. Have a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment